August 18, 2014 – For over thirty years, Star Wars fans and collectors have noted a gaping hole (wider, even, than Sarlaac’s pit a/k/a “The Great Pit of Carkoon”) in their collections: To date, Hasbro has refused to release a playset or large model of Jabba’s Sail Barge. I wrote about this travesty earlier this year in a posting you can read here, and suggested that fans look to building their own custom models or purchasing one of the two Lego versions.
Now comes GREAT NEWS, Star Wars fans: If you hurry, you can bid on a custom-built Jabba’s Sail Barge with these incredible features:
● 39″ long Sail Barge (took a month to build) complete with the 3-3/4″ figures – and the deck gun – pictured below
● Deck hatch doors which open with a ladder to the cantina
● Multiple windows that prop open
● Easily accessible compartments for your figure placements and viewing enjoyment
● Numerous other details (deck planks, anchor chains that fit Jabba’s girth, orange sails)
The hull is constructed primarily of cardboard and foam core. Silver poster board and multi-layering of spray paint give the exterior that weathered armor look. The two sails are made of double-layered poster board with bass wood supports and masts. The windows are a basswood frame and the slats are cut from bronze/copper posterboard. Most of the large windows are hinged so they can open.
Here is the Ebay link, with a starting bid of $95.00. But hurry: Bidding will close, and Jabba’s Sail Barge will be sailing away Sunday, 24 Aug 2014 at 19:47:57 PDT.
UPDATE:The winning bid was $2,247.22. Congratulations to the winning bidder and the talented custom model-builder.