September 1, 2014 – Today is Labor Day in the United States, a national holiday which celebrates the achievements of workers and their contributions to the economic growth of the nation. So what better way to celebrate Labor Day than to stop laboring, set aside any amateur efforts at constructing your own model Jabba’s Sail Barge (popsicle sticks and glue, anyone?), and bid on and take home this incredibly detailed model:
Custom model-builder David Styles (Email: email@example.com) has reconstructed Jabba’s Sail Barge with painstaking detail, including these features:
● Dimensions: 39″L x 14”W x 18″H (99cm L x 35.6cm W x 45.7cm H)
● Deck gun and figures in the photos are included
● Deck hatch doors which open with access to the cantina
● Multiple windows that prop open
● Easily accessible compartments for your figure placements and viewing enjoyment
● Numerous other details (deck planks, orange sails)
The hull is constructed primarily of cardboard and foam core. Silver poster board and multi-layering of spray paint give the exterior that weathered armor look. The two sails are made of double-layered poster board with bass wood supports and masts. The windows are a basswood frame and the slats are cut from bronze/copper posterboard. Most of the large windows are hinged so they can open.
As Star Wars collectors know, for over three decades Hasbro has declined to release a playset or large model of Jabba’s Sail Barge. I wrote about this travesty earlier this year in a posting you can read here. And despite an online petition by fans to the toy company, Hasbro has no intention to release any such model in the future.