September 17, 2014 – Once casting assignments were completed earlier this year, the working assumption had been that Adam Driver would play the arch-villain in Star Wars Episode VII. The assumption has now been turned on its head with the following photo released on Twitter:
The photo poses more questions than answers:
● Is this really Adam Driver? Looks like him, but….
● If Adam Driver plays the part of an X-Wing pilot, does he later betray the Rebel Alliance and evolve toward the Dark Side (echoes of Anakin Skywalker)?
● Or is he donning the costume in an undercover capacity, his loyalty to the Empire hidden from his fellow pilots?
● Has a different actor been assigned the arch-villain role (likely a Sith), leaving Driver to play one of the lead fighter pilots?
● Or is this photo a grand red herring planted by director J.J. Abrams? Over the summer, the secretive director has released cryptic photos and videos which have been feeding the rumor mill.
Abrams has managed to keep an incredibly tight lid on plot details and character assignments. The more clues we discover, the less we know. Star Wars Episode VII premieres on December 18, 2015, when all this mad speculation will finally end.