September 26, 2014 – Since our last photo-report HERE from the Ubrikkian Shipyards on the construction of a new Jabba’s Sail Barge, we are pleased to report that final test runs are being conducted on the mammoth sail barge.
The photos below (click to enlarge) reveal many incredible details, including an exclusive peek* at a framed painting of Jabba himself below decks; an enlarged suite for Jabba along with a redesigned bed and handrails; new staircases leading to the upper deck; and more movie-accurate craftsmanship, including redesigned handrails and a longer sloping front profile.
● Dimensions: 42″L x 15″W x 20″H (106.7cm L x 38.1cm W x 50.8cm H); under 10 lbs (4.5 kg)
● Figures Included: Princess Leia with Sail Barge Cannon (from the Power of the Jedi series, 2001); small Rancor (a Micro Machine figure) attached to a mobile base which now serves as a Rancor statue.
● Materials: The hull is constructed primarily of cardboard and foam core. Silver poster board and multi-layering of spray paint give the exterior that weathered armor look. The two sails are made of double-layered poster board with bass wood supports and masts. The windows are a basswood frame and the slats are cut from bronze/copper posterboard. Most of the large windows are hinged so they can open.
● Playability and Display Features: Deck hatch doors open with access to the cantina; multiple windows can be propped open; detailed deck planks and twin orange sails; easily accessible compartments to insert your action figures (including the almighty Jabba the Hutt) and for your viewing enjoyment.
● Changes from Previous Versions: This updated Sail Barge has been slightly modified by placing the rear sail farther back to allow more room for the barge cannon and your own action figures. Jabba’s suite is redesigned with a larger bed and hand rail, a Rancor statue (moveable), and stair cases to upper decks (in addition to the ladders). Railings are redesigned to more closely depict the movie version. And finally, the front of the ship has been elongated to give it a more sloped profile.
● Custom model-builder David Styles has listed this exact Sail Barge model for sale on Ebay beginning Sunday, 28 September 2014. Bidding remains open for seven (7) days. Click the E-Jabbay icon to view the listing, which ends 05 October 2014 at 18:30:23 PDT._______________________________________________________________
*peek: (n.) a quick and typically furtive look; (v.) to look quickly
*peak: (n.) the top, such as of a mountain; (v.) to reach a highest point
*pique: (n.) a feeling of irritation or resentment resulting from a slight; (v.1) to stimulate (interest or curiousity); (v.2) to feel irritated or resentful
EXAMPLE: “In late 1977, at the peak of Star Wars’ popularity, consumers peeked at the new Kenner catalogue, but were piqued to discover no Star Wars action figures or vehicles would be available for the Christmas/Winter holidays.”