December 13, 2014 – In five months, one of Disney’s most cherished annual events will begin. Star Wars Weekends 2015 is scheduled for the following weekends (Friday-Saturday-Sunday):
Weekend I: May 15-17, 2015
Weekend II: May 22-24, 2015
Weekend III: May 29-31, 2015
Weekend IV: June 5-7, 2015
Weekend V: June 12-14, 2015
Founded in 1997 and hosted by the Walt Disney Co. (15 years before it bought Lucasfilm, Ltd.), Star Wars Weekends is an annual festival at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Florida. It features appearances by Star Wars cast members from the original movies as well as the animated series.
This is a great opportunity to meet various Star Wars celebrities one-on-one, get an autograph and pose for photo ops, without having to pay a separate fee for each celebrity. The only requirements are paid admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios (currently $94.00 per day) and a Fastpass (free, but on a first-come, first-served basis).
While the Star Wars celebrities are an important attraction, there is a lot more to see and do throughout your visit, including:
● Exclusive Star Wars Weekends merchandise and food items
● meet-ups with various artists and authors
● Star Wars parade featuring the celebrity motorcade and a large number of Star Wars characters in costume
● “Symphony in the Stars” — A spectacular fireworks show set to John Williams’ original music, with voice and sound clippings from the Star Wars films
● Live celebrity talk shows in Disney’s Premier Theater, where audience members can watch several behind-the-scenes clips of the animated series and/or movies, and get to know their favorite Star Wars actors a little better. Past celebrities have included Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), Billie Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), Warrick Davis (Wicket the Ewok), Ray Park (Darth Maul), and many others.
● Character appearances throughout the park (Jedi Mickey, Minnie Leia, etc.)
● Disney Star Wars character breakfasts and lunches (separate fee and reservations required)
● Jedi Training Academy (for younglings only; offered year round)
● Star Tours – The Adventure Continues (3D motion simulator ride, offered year round)
Star Wars Weekends 2015 is expected to feature some major star power and some teasers and insights into one of the most eagerly anticipated films – Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Episode VII), which premieres 18 December 2015.
The list of celebrities scheduled to appear has not been released yet. For further details, visit Disney’s official Star Wars Weekends website HERE. For a sampling of one fan’s photo-journal documentation of Star Wars Weekends 2014, click HERE.