May 4, 2016 – Happy Star Wars Day, everyone. Originally a fan-created observance, May the 4th (as in “May the Fourth be with you”) is now officially sanctioned and celebrated by Disney/Lucasfilm and numerous vendors. Here are a few places and events where you can celebrate:
● Disneyland (Anaheim, California) is hosting a special screening at Tomorrowland Theater of an episode from the animated series, Star Wars Rebels. You can also find special commemorative merchandise and all-new Star Wars collector glasses available for purchase. Later in the evening, starting at 6:00 PM, head to the Galactic Grill Stage for Star Wars trivia and other events.
● Disney’s Hollywood Studios (Orlando, Florida) is also expected to feature commemorative merchandise, including all-new Star Wars pins, T-shirts and an astromech droid for purchase. No official May the 4th events are planned.
● Limited edition Disney pins – one for May the 4th, the other for May the 5th (as in “Revenge of the Fifth”, another bad pun) – will be offered at both Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando (at Hollywood Studios and at Pin Traders at Disney Springs) and at Disneyland Park in Anaheim. While no prices have been listed yet, last year’s May the 4th pins retailed at $15.95 each, so expect something similar.
UPDATE: Pin prices are $14.95 each, a $1.00 reduction from 2015. Save an additional 10% at Tatooine Traders if you, or someone you know, has a Disney Annual Pass.
● New R5-M4 Astromech Droid from Disney: Collectors of droids will be thrilled to learn that Disney has released its all-new and exclusive R5-M4 astromech droid. (“R5-M4” is a play on the words “Revenge of the Fifth” and “May the Fourth” = R5-M4.) These are available only at Disney parks or you can try Ebay.
UPDATE: The 3.75″ astromech droid retails at $12.99 each. Abundant quantities were available in the morning of May 4th at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, but these are expected to sell quickly.
● Disney Store, on Sunday May 1st and Wednesday May 4th, is offering a FREE pin to the first 50 customers in each store who make a purchase. (Is that a Boba Fett pin?!)
● The Lego Store, from April 30 through May 4th, is offering a FREE The Force Awakens poster with any LEGO Star Wars purchase. And with your purchase of $50 (USD) or more, pick up an exclusive First Order Stormtrooper™ while supplies last. Click HERE to find a store near you.
● Celebrate at Home: If you’d rather stay home to avoid the crowds, you can always celebrate May the Fourth on your own. Beyond running your own private movie marathon, there are a ton of Star Wars crafts. The eco-friendly site, CraftingAGreenWorld.com, for example, lists links to 20 DIY projects. Make your own Death Star globe, stitch together a Boba Fett plushie pillow, bake an R2-D2 cake, or design an Obi-Wan costume, for starters.
● Even though summer is right around the corner, you can still make it snow. Have fun creating a blizzard when you select from a dozen Star Wars snowflake patterns. For instructions and to download the PDF patterns, click HERE. (Thanks to Anthony Herrera designs )
● Throwing a party? Bump it up a notch with your own easy-to-make Star Wars banners. Visit maythefourthbewithyoupartyblog.com for instructions and ideas.
For additional listings, visit the May the 4th Facebook page.