August 12, 2016 – So, Lord Vader has returned.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is the ninth theatrical feature film in the series.
The Rogue One cast – and the characters they play – include (in no particular order):
● Felicity Jones – Jyn Erso, the protagonist and reluctant Rebel
● Ben Mendelssohn – Orson Krennic, an Imperial officer
● Diego Luna – Captain Cassian Andor, a Rebel officer
● Riz Ahmed – Bodhi, a Rebel soldier
● Jiang Wen – Baze Malbus, a freelance assassin
● Donnie Yen – Chirrut Imwe, a spiritual warrior
● Mads Mikkelsen – father of Jyn Erso
● Forest Whitaker – Saw Gerrara, a shadowy freedom-fighter
● Genevieve O’Reilly – Mon Mothma
● Jimmy Smits – Senator Bail Organa
● Alan Tudyk – Senator Jebel
● Jonathan Aris – K-2SO, a killer droid
● Spencer Wilding – Darth Vader
Who is Saw Gerrara?
Saw’s name is familiar because we were first introduced to him in The Clone Wars. (You can still see him on Netflix in a four-season arc of Season Five. The episodes include “A War on Two Fronts,” “Front Runners,” “The Soft War,” and “Tipping Points.”)
In The Clone Wars, Saw Gerrara (voiced by Andrew Kishino) was a freedom fighter on the planet Onderon. He and his sister, Steela, received their training from Anakin, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan. Steela, however, as leader of the rebels, lost her life. Saw had rebelled against the crown when Onderon’s leader became an ally to the Separatists.
Both the animated Saw and the Rogue One version played by Forest Whitaker have the same scar over their left eye.
► “Rogue One”: The Darkest Star Wars Movie Yet? (18 May 2016)
► Many Bothans Do Not Die in Rogue One (8 April 2016)