April 11, 2017 – There is a small subset of fans at Star Wars Celebration Orlando who will attempt to attend all twenty (20) Collecting Track Panels – that’s five a day over the four-day event.
To do so, however, they will have to miss the major panels (40th Anniversary, The Last Jedi, Closing Ceremony); they will forego autograph and photo opportunities with a galaxy of Star Wars‘ mightiest stars; and they will, essentially, spend the bulk of Celebration either waiting in line at a panel or attending most, if not all, twenty panels.
Why do they do this? For some, it’s an opportunity to learn from panel speakers and experts about various Star Wars collecting challenges and trends. For others, it has become a tradition over the past several Celebrations.
There is no additional cost, no advanced wristband is required, and the most taxing things are, perhaps, standing in line waiting for the next panel or trying to stay awake during some of the more esoteric topics late in the day.
But the real rewards are the free giveaways at the end of each panel, which usually runs about 45-60 minutes long. This year, a unique Star Tot is being handed out to each attendee, limited to room capacity, at the end of each session. (In the past, some of the rooms had a capacity of about 350 or so people. If you didn’t get inside the room, you didn’t get a Star Tot.)
Each flat die-cast enameled collectible measures almost 2” high (5cm) and is displayed in a resealable clamshell package with individualized cardbacks. You cannot find these anywhere else, and post-market prices (e.g., Ebay) can be in the range of $20-$40 each, depending on the item’s popularity and rarity.
By comparison, here are some of the Celebration Anaheim (2015) Star Tots:
You can read the full panel details HERE. All Collectors Track panels will be held at the Star Wars Collectors’ Stage (room W307).
Thursday, April 13th:
● 12-1pm: 40 for 40: Highlights from Four Decades of Star Wars Collectibles
● 1:30-2:30pm: The Growing Galaxy of Women’s Star Wars Fashion
● 3:00-4:00pm: Rancho Obi-Wan
● 4:30-5:30pm: Food Collectibles
● 6:00-7:00pm: Star Wars Display and Advertising Collecting
Friday, April 14th:
● 12-1pm: The Art and Packaging of Vintage Star Wars Toys
● 1:30-2:30pm: Displaying Your Star Wars Collection
● 3-4pm: The Star Wars Funko Pop! Vinyl Explosion
● 4:30-5:30pm: Star Wars Original Props and Costumes
● 6-7pm: Star Wars Collecting: Social Media and Networking
Saturday, April 15th:
● 12-1pm: 40 Years Later: Star Wars Original Film Memorabilia
● 1:30-2:30pm: Hallmark Collectibles
● 3-4pm: Star Wars at the Movies: Vintage Theatrical Advertising and Collectible Ephemera
● 4:30-5:30pm: A Star Wars Collector’s Journey
● 6-7pm: Fakes and Scandals
Sunday, April 16th:
● 12:00-12:45pm: Bounty Hunting for Exclusives
● 1:00-1:45pm: Collecting Star Wars — A Singaporean Perspective
● 2:00-2:45pm: Time Travel to Vintage Toy Factories Around the World
● 3:00-3:45pm: Star Wars Collecting in Argentina
● 4:00-4:45pm: From Star Wars to Rogue One: Unique Promotions from Spain
Note that on Saturday evening, April 15th, from 7-9pm, a “Collecting Track Swap Meet and Social” will be held at the Collectors’ Social Room (W305). In addition, if there are any extra Star Tots left, they will be handed out Sunday at 5:00pm. Read the full description and schedule HERE.
TIP: Bring some cash. During a break between certain panels, a unique cardboard display may be sold to help you display your Star Tots collection. Supplies are very limited.